28 May 2006

margaritas at margarita's

Today, the weather hit the high twenties, and it dawned on me that summer is finally upon us. I can't quite believe I've already spent three seasons here -- I arrived in the dead of winter in February, and now everything is bright and colorful with the first signs of summer.

I never quite understood what it was with Canadians and their love for the outdoors (and outdoor patios). I've seen a lot of magazines featuring lists of the town's best patios, and if you walk down any street, you'll notice how most restaurants and pubs advertise their patios to attract patrons. Now, if you're from the Philippines, you'll probably wonder (like I did) what the hell was so attractive about outdoor patios -- I mean, why stay outside when there's air conditioning inside? You'll get jabar pa! :P

I think I've somehow turned Torontonian, though, because now I always jump at the chance to eat/drink/hang out at an outdoor patio -- never mind if I actually have to move indoors after approximately thirty minutes because I get too cold. Hehe. I'll definitely miss this, because once I get back to the Philippines I'll start getting jabar everytime I attempt to stay outdoors.

Speaking of outdoor patios, Iris & I discovered a small strip of Baldwin Street (1 block north of Dundas, intersecting McCaul) that is lined with restaurants and patios. I suppose this is a local hangout, because I've never heard it mentioned in any guide books -- we somehow just discovered this place while looking for Margarita's Fiesta Room, a lively Mexican restaurant that served even livelier margaritas in enormous bowl-shaped goblets. (I hope that's a sign that we're going to Mexico. *hint hint*)

*Picture: Rasperry margarita at Margarita's Fiesta Room, 14 Baldwin St. Toronto.

No comments: