02 March 2006

the space between



It's one of those days when it seems that nothing, no matter how hard you try, ever goes your way.

Tonight, the moon is a sliver in the night sky, hanging over the city lights in the distance. I stand here by the window, watching the stillness of the night. Standing there, alone, I realize how insignificant I am, a speck of dust in the universe. How the world is so large, and I, alone, am an infinitesimal being.

Sometimes, I gaze at the heavens and ask what I could have possibly done so wrong for things to turn out like this. I put on a mask and pretend that all is good and well; that I hold the world in my hands. I will look you in the eye, nod, smile, and say "Yes, I am doing great" and almost believe myself.

But tonight I am alone, and there is no need to pretend. It scares me that maybe it will always be like this.

I will forever be broken.

No comments: