13 February 2009

the house that second-hand shops built

Today, I placed the finishing touch on my room - a 5-euro rug I bought from UFF.

It's hard decorating your room when you're on a student budget, especially when you know you'll be moving out in four months. Luckily, the Finnish -- never one to let anything go to waste -- have it all figured out. For roughly a hundred euros, I was able to deck out my room quite comfortably, with rentals from TYS and the Student Union (some furniture + a starting package of curtains, a duvet, a pillow, & some kitchenware), things scrounged from second-hand shops (a mattress, a rug & a drying line) and an assortment of items from the dirt-cheap IKEA. (A full-sized pillow for 95 cents? Outrageous!) Probably the most expensive thing I bought was a new heater, and that was only after I shivered in my room for a week and finally decided I couldn't wait until a heater turned up at the second-hand store. Hehe. Leave it to me to splurge on shoes but scrimp on things like that.

I live in a student housing complex in Halinen called Haliskylä, where I share a three-bedroom apartment with Johanna, a Swedish-speaking Finn, and Katri from Estonia. Student housing in Finland is excellent, a far cry from the French nightmare called Residence de Cuques. Everything is convenient and well-planned -- the Halinen landscape is almost rural with a forest and Halistenkoski rapids nearby, yet there is a commercial complex across the street and school is a 10-minute bus ride away.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

loving your posts. more, more!

summer na sa pinas, btw.

sheila said...

thanks abby! :) i'm actually trying to backtrack and record everything i've done in finland since i got here (i want to remember everything!) so if you scroll down a bit there are more posts. hehe.

summer na! i might go home to the philippines for summer, cant get a summer job kasi! but looking forward to bora! hehe.

Anonymous said...

cool place! and go, summer in Pinas! btw, may susunod na sa iyo diyan...:)

sheila said...

waaaait! sinong susunod????? balitaan mo naman ako!!!!! =)

jingypot said...

hey sheila!
your place looks cute...
obviously belonging to someone OC!
hahaha...
miss you...

sheila said...

jing!thanks! kamukha konti ng room ko sa hardin ng rosas. hehe.