23 August 2008

residence de cuques

I seriously wanted to like the rooms at Residence de Cuques.

I initially freaked out after seeing pictures of the dorm room online, but I figured -- hey, it's cheap (150 euros/month), convenient (it has wifi, a laundromat, and a government-subsidized cafeteria nearby), has a view of Aix-en-Provence, and is just a ten minute walk to the city center. I survived UP, I'm sure I can survive "dirty" by French standards.

Apparently not.

My room was much worse than I expected. The wallpapers are torn, the bed is mangy, the floors are cracked and stained with mud, and my room faces the back of a building.


Nice tour, eh? In fairness to the dorm, some of the rooms are actually okay. I think I was just given one of the worse rooms.

But that's bearable. I can live with the not-so-pretty and not-so-clean surroundings. I was even able to get rid of the smell of urine after a night of scrubbing my floors with soap. (Eeeewwww.) And I've met some great people on my floor.

I just really don't like sharing my bathroom with 35 other people. Men and women at that. Especially when the toilets look like the toilets in UP Palma Hall pre-renovation days (yung banyo pa ni Marcos!)

It's not so fun walking into the toilet and finding pubic hair and remnants of someone else's poop on the toilet bowl. Eeeeeeeeewwww. I feel like I need to take a shower every time I use the toilet.

So, I am moving to the Citadines Aix Jas de Bouffan. It's an apartment-hotel a ten-minute bus ride from the center, but...... with its own bathrooms! And a pool!

Woot!

Sidenote: Well, actually, I kind of got kicked out of the dorm. I went to the caisse to ask what I needed to do in case I wanted to move out of the dorm. Due to the freaking language barrier (they don't speak ANY English!!!!), they misunderstood me as saying I was sure I wanted to move out of the dorm and asked me to move out on August 31 because they're giving my room to someone else. My apartment is only available on September 1, so I'm homeless for a day. Merde!!!! I just hope they refund the 700 euros I've paid them! Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

the hallway reminded me of the place in hackney where i spent the summer. i hope it's not a total nightmare yet!

Chibog in Chief said...

hi sheila, i hope our rdvz will finally push through soon :-) well im glad you'll move in to a much better place.. :-)

Anonymous said...

hahahaha! sounds even worse than the dorm i've been to and Pook Dagohoy :)

Anonymous said...

i hope they do refund you, 700 euros is a lot ;-) in tokyo, some of the older dorms are like that (but cleaner), but a lot of the newer ones are so posh they make me salivate! ;-) goodluck!

sheila said...

erasmusa - i moooooved! i'm paying more than double the amount, but it's soooo worth it!

dhanggit - thanks for meeting up with me and the wonderfully funny conversation! :)

dingdong - i think same level as UP dorms, except i share with guys too!

caryn - yes, they finally refunded me (i had to go back several times though and speak in terrrrible french)!

Unknown said...

that's still fine, sheila. i paid thrice that in DK, four times that in UK. you'll still have enough money for travel. blog for pinoyerasmus mundus, ha?