13 September 2006

the cream puffs that went through a snowstorm

The golden brown, crusty shells caught my eye before I even noticed the sign above it.

Beard Papa's Fresh 'n Natural Cream Puffs.

I thought it was a rather odd name for a shop. Beard Papa? And weren't all cream puffs fresh and natural anyway? I chalked it up to Engrish -- something must have gotten lost in translation. Besides, the sight of those cream puffs were too tantalizing to ignore. I had a temporary moment of paralysis as I imagined sinking my teeth into that crusty, flaky pastry as the cream oozed out of the shell.

I cream puffs.

So I begrudgingly shelled over fifty pesos for one, even if I thought it was a bit outrageous for a single cream puff. I figured, there must be something special about those cream puffs if that's the only thing they sold.

The Taste Test? I was disappointed. I found the cream filling rather bland; and it lacked that caramelized sugar on top that made cream puffs so deliciously gooey. Maybe I was just expecting the Filipino version of the cream puff (think Puffs & Stuff along Commonwealth), because apparently Beard Papa's is setting off cream puff crazes everywhere.

Anyway, I was a bit miffed at having had to shell out fifty pesos for a cream puff, so I decided to make my own. And voila...

Sheila's Papa's Fresh n' Natural and Cheap Cream Puffs! ;)

*Beard Papa's Fresh 'n Natural Cream Puffs are available at Food Choices Glorietta, SM Megamall Building A, and at the Greenhills Promenade.

6 comments:

carla said...

ROFL :D kulit!

Anonymous said...

ang sarap naman tingnan! =) penge!

xieurx said...

pehenge! bake ka naman para sa offsite natin :)

Anonymous said...

there's a new place called Happy Cream Puff in Metropolis, Alabang. The price is way below Beard Papa and it's really good!

I think it's also Japanese-owned.

sheila said...

haha. thanks alds, carla, mel, sym, and anonymous for the comments! saka ko na patitikim pag naperfect ko na recipe! sunog yan e!

anonymous, sino ka? siguro mayari ka ng Happy Cream Puff! :P

Anonymous said...

Yeah, P55 is steep for cream puffs.

We get ours from this store in Alabang that's owned by a Japanese. The store is called Happy Cream Puff and the puffs range in price from P20-P25.

Here's their cute website
http://www.happycreampuff.com/