18 April 2006

strangers again


I couldn't quite understand it.

As we walked back towards Union Station that last night, I was suddenly hit by an overwhelming sense of sadness. This was our last dinner out, our last stroll down Yonge Street, our last subway ride together. Our footsteps were heavy with the impending thought of goodbye. I walked slowly, like I could somehow make this moment go on forever if I did.

Three weeks have passed, and it's time for Cheng & GM to go back to the reality of Manila. It's strange how hard it is for me to see them leave, when I’ll see them back in Manila anyway.

But two months feels like an awfully long time. Seeing them leave meant it was back to 'normal' for Iris & me - back to being strangers in a strange land. Toronto suddenly seemed much colder, and lonelier than ever.

And while I still want to stay here and live this experience as fully as I can, a part of me is terrified that when the time comes for me to finally leave, it will be much more difficult, and much more painful to let go.

If I let this end, it may never happen again.

How do you say goodbye to something so wonderful?

i want yesterday to come back again
nothing is as simple as I once knew
-strangers again, ari hest

No comments: