03 February 2006

the whisper of a thrill

So, this week was capped by a pig-out dinner with the Friday Night Losers and quality time with my laptop. I'm in a backlog of work, partly my fault due to an acute attack of tamaditis and a visit from the local office nognog. (Hernan, kaya tayo hindi mapro-promote nito e! :P)

The midnight breeze was beckoning to me (along with my to-finish-before-the-weekend list), so in an attempt to simulate work-life balance, I decided to set up office out on our veranda. Brilliant. Working in IT, or in any corporate job for that matter, can dehumanize you. There's something both calming and grounding about working there on the veranda, underneath the stars as the night wind revolves in the sky and sings. (Okay, I stole that last phrase from Neruda. :P) Add a hot cup of raspberry caffe mocha (Valentines puts me in the mood to consume anything with chocolate and berries in it) and the stress of the week just melts away.

The only downside is I cannot sit with my feet propped up on the chair lest the neighbors are scandalized by my lack of breeding. (I can already imagine it: Honey, why is our neighbor seated like that?!?!) And having to bring my laptop inside whenever I have to go pee, just in case some evil souls are plotting on stealing my laptop while I'm peeing. Heehee. Praning.

Still, I'm seriously loving this.

*****

In a few weeks, I am shipping off to the land of milk and honey... er, actually... the land beside the land of milk and honey. No, I'm not running off to be a nurse or a caregiver -- no offense to nurses & caregivers out there! I'm moving to Canada for three months to complete a project at work and to seek revenge on my boss for making me miserable this past year. Nyahahahaha.

The reality of it is just beginning to hit me. Just when I've gotten used to staying at my parents' home again, I need to learn to fend for myself once more. I have this queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach, and I can't quite tell if it's excitement or apprehension. I've experienced semi-independence back in college, but living in Toronto is a whole new league. Take away the familiar surroundings; take away my comfort zone; take away my entire support system -- was I really ready for this?

To distract myself, I'm currently attempting to figure out how to fit three months worth of clothing into two maletas. (I can only bring two luggages because of the airline policy.) I've started digging out my winter clothes from the depths of my closet, and I have come to an awful realization. I have too much winter clothing. It's horrible, really. Some of my lovely winter sweaters will have to stay behind -- they will never know what winter feels like. (There goes my dream of being decked out in a different ski-bunny outfit every day. Hehe.)

Of course, why I would have so many sweaters and jackets when I live in a tropical country is another story. :P

1 comment:

sheila said...

haha, naka-wireless na ko! ang tiyaga ko naman kung i-cable ko hanggang veranda namin yung laptop ko! :P pero hindi ako nagwowork sa banyo, baka mabasa laptop ko e. :P